Monday, September 1, 2008

Last Days of Summer


If you ever get to Lake Como...



I would highly recommend this beautiful hotel in Varenna. The Hotel Royal Victoria is situated across the lake from busier Bellagio and is one of the few hotels with a pool, thus making it a 4 star. This was my view from the small verandah where I ate breakfast most of the week I was there. And yes, the lake really is that blue. These two magnificent cypress trees framed the view from my modest and comfy room, with Bellagio right between them. Getting around is by ferry and you can travel from one 'town' to another this way most of the summer. All around you is flora and fauna, blue water, mountainettes of deciduous and coniferous trees, and some beautiful gardens. 

Varenna is known as the pearl of the lake, and it was indeed very lovely, quieter than other towns, with a castle at its highest point (a nice hike up I took one day to walk off the PASTA and GELATTO!). The lake is situated at the base of the Alps in northern Italy. It's easy to see why people have been drawn to it for centuries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment