Thursday, January 15, 2009

1559: 450 Years Later


Today is the 450th anniversary of the coronation of QUEEN ELIZABETH I of England. She was 25 years old, and she loved pearls and continued to drench herself in them all through her 45 year reign. To me, she is the ultimate Pearl Girl.

I learned this when I was doing research on the National Portrait Gallery's site
here. Upon closer inspection I saw not only the necklaces she wore, but also that many of her gowns were sewn all over with pearls. Apparently she had a team of seamstresses who would transfer pearls from one dress to another. It's an odd thing I never saw earrings on her. I think it was the men in Elizabethian times who wore the earrings. No lie.

Pearls were very rare in those days and were all from the sea. The current Queen of England, Elizabeth II, wore the coronation crown that has two or three of Elizabeth Tudor's pearls on it. I wonder where the rest of them went...

The portrait above is circa 1588 when she was 55 years old.

To commemorate this anniversary of the ultimate Pearl Girl all earrings on Pearl Girl Pearls are $15.59 for a whole week. You can find them here. Long live the Pearl!

Why is a pearl so amazing?
Because it's made from an irritation that becomes something beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment