Sunday, August 3, 2008

When A Smile Lights Up the Room



At the folk art market last month I was meandering around and I came across this gentleman. I was a fair distance away, but he did see me make this shot. I mouthed "thank you", as I did whenever anyone noticed me photographing them.

I've generally been quite a shy photographer and for years I'd hide behind a very long lens. I think I must have been getting braver, even if I haven't realized it, as this day spontaneity jumped in and I was guided to go up to him. Not even knowing if he spoke English I asked, "Does anyone ever show you the images they make?" And I showed him the back of my camera. "Look how beautiful you are!" 

One drop of inspired kindness and gratitude led to this response. His smile lit up the whole tent!



No comments:

Post a Comment